Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why a doctor?

Why do you want to be doctor? a pilot? an engineer? these are basic questions asked during an interview may it be at school, at work or just with someone who's curious about your answer/s. And my brother and I were talking about the probable answers a while ago. The usual answers are the following:
  1. to fulfill a childhood dream
  2. to make my parents happy and proud of me
  3. to help my parents (financial terms)
  4. to be rich and famous (although these are "usually" secret reasons!haha!)
  5. the field he/she choses is his/her strength/interest
Well, I have to admit that most if not all are my reasons. But as time pass by, I don't want to be a mediocre with the reasoning part. Not that I'm understating the reasons stated above. It's just that, I know in my heart I have this grave reason why I wanted to be a doctor ever since I learned about this challenging profession.

God gave me a heart for others. And I want to maximize this heart by being a doctor. A doctor for others!

I'm happy and contented about this reason of mine. I will always be reminded that I'm nothing without God. And He is and will always be the greatest factor why I'm still pursuing this road wherein a lot have managed to enter but not all have been given the chance of exiting victoriously because of factors that are enough to make someone quit if not only for the love for medicine, the love of serving others and the love for God.

So here I am again, asking the Lord for guidance that I may not forget Him because I know He never did and will never do. As for you, I wish that you'll have a reason enough to make you hold on to your aims in life. And just know that if your intentions are pure and you put God into it, failures will just be detours and not dead ends. And latter, you can use this failures as stepping stones toward success and who knows you might inspire others who will be in the same situation as you were before.